March 27th, 2012
A good dissertation proposal allows you to notice any problems with dissertation ideas at an early stage. Prevention is better than cure. When the committee checks your thesis proposal, it is essentially early diagnostics of potential troubles with your dissertation project. Check this quick guide if you want to make this diagnostics smooth and prevent disasters in thesis writing.
Dissertation proposal: core elements
By contrast to widely spread stereotypes, a dissertation proposal is not a ‘rehearsal’ before the ‘real work’. In fact, your thesis proposal is the first step in your research process and it can become the perfect start to a perfect project. Basically, there are 6 core elements that make good dissertation proposals:
- A viable research problem and a hypothesis;
- review of the relevant literature;
- theoretical framework;
- significance of the study (how this research can contribute to existing knowledge);
Dissertation proposal: main steps
Certainly, you should not expect your dissertation proposals to be written in a one-night study session. Do not be confused by the relatively small size of a thesis proposal. Every sentence in a proposal is preceded by a thorough research and thinking process. Also, do not expect its sections (problem statement, literature review, methodology etc.) to be written one by one. Instead, check these logical steps to guide your research process:
- Step 1. Formulate orienting questions. At this stage, you can choose a relatively broad topic and explore a particular study area to make certain that you will be able to find the necessary materials and identify a gap in existing literature.
- Step 2. Literature review and revision of orienting questions. Collect and read literature related to your field. Start from classic theories, proceed to areas which are of particular interest to you and find a unique and workable topic. Here are your goals for this section:
- demonstrate your readers your mastery of the chosen field of knowledge;
- create links between your narrow topic and broader themes in this field;
- explain how your topic will contribute to existing knowledge.
You may want to use the following constructions: X argues that…, researchers who investigated the subject are…, debate centers on the issue of… Note that you should not include in your literature review everything you have read. It is not a review of what you have read, but it is a review of literature closely related to the chosen problem.
- Step 3. Formulate a research problem. After reviewing the literature, you will be able to formulate a hypothesis worth testing or a viable research problem. Mind the difference between a research question that is presented in the form of an interrogative sentence ending with a question mark (?) and a hypothesis that is presented in the form of a declarative sentence and assumes that there is a relationship between certain variables. Each of them can be used in a dissertation proposal.
- Step 4. Methodology. Make a plan for data collection, analysis and interpretation. Think what methods and instruments can be used.
- Step 5. Limitations. Attempt to objectively critique your research plan to find limitations in its design (remember that nothing is perfect and you will surely find weaknesses of your research design if you try to critically evaluate it).
March 20th, 2012
Well, it seems like you’re facing another hard task. And that hard task is to create one of those topics on dissertation.
“What is a dissertation, after all?”
A dissertation is the final work required to obtain a higher degree and it consists in designing, planning, carrying out and reporting of an original research project with solid theoretical background.
Don’t confuse it with…
…A thesis, which is an original research that advances a specific and unique point of view, is based on scholarly resources and solid theoretical background, and required to obtain a higher academic degree.
Well, let’s get some ideas for dissertation topics, shall we?
Dissertation Topics Development for IT: Make Great Discoveries!
Did you know that creating dissertation paper topics is fun? You can use all your creativity and even add a tint of humor in your topics for dissertation! Take a glance at the Top 30 Topics for the dissertation of your dreams!
Let’s check first some dissertation topics in IT – the hottest ticket in 2012:
IT Dissertation Topics
- Privacy and Confidentiality in the IT Domain: Their Necessity and Methods to Establish Strict Boundaries;
- Freedom and Censorship of Speech in Information Technologies: Adequate Laws Are Required;
- Unstable Security in the Information Technologies Field and Means to Fight It;
- Current Computer Crimes: An Overview of Occurrences and Efficient Problem Solutions;
- 2012 IT Investment Issues: Restricted Funding and Alternative Sources of Financial Support;
- 2012 World Congress on IT: Problems to Be Solved and Possible Suggestions;
- The Transformation of Higher Education Through Information Technologies: New Horizons, New Issues;
- Design and Development of Personal Cloud Devices: Controlling the Weather with the Help of IT;
- Clean Energy and Means to Boost Its Use: Current Problems and Possible Solutions;
- E-Commerce Development Requires Fair Taxation: Current Suggestions.
Dissertation Topics in Education: Learning Teaching. XXI Century
Google only knows how many students have been browsing for dissertation education topics! Well, your dreams have finally come true – here are the 10 best dissertation topics on education!
Dissertation Topics: Education
- The Importance of IT in the Education Process;
- Means of Increasing Teacher Effectiveness. Overcoming the Obstacles;
- “Common Core” Academic Standards Are Not Faultless: Existing Alternatives;
- Educational Challenges in Rural and Impoverished Areas: The Community Policy;
- The Importance of the Individualized Approach in Modern Education: Issues and Solutions;
- The Means to Improve the Use of Data in Education: Suggestions and Current Issues;
- Cost- Sharing Formula in Modern Education as an Efficient Way to Solve Financial Problems;
- Using Non-Conventional Education Methods in Public Schools: Obstacles and Future Prospects;
- Teaching Disabled Students: Key Problems and Modern Solutions. Testing Innovative Methods;
- Bullying in School: Variations of School Abuse and Efficient Means to Fight It.
With these topics for dissertation in education, you’ll definitely reach success! However, don’t stop at these suggestions only – apart from education dissertation topics, there are 10 more fantastic research topics for dissertation to go!
Dissertation Topics: Top 10 Most Essential Problems
Do you want something more general? Then check these ideas for research topics:
February 1st, 2012
Students sometimes feel intimidated when they are asked to write a literature dissertation. This is because more often than not, they find literature too broad a course that they cannot nail themselves down to find the best topics to write about for dissertations on literature. The following are wide range of topics that you can choose from different areas when writing literature dissertations.
17th century Dissertation on literature
- the Bible
- Twelfth Night
- Troilus and Cressida
- Measure for Measure
- The Tragedy of King Lair
- Antony and Cleopatra
- The Winter’s Tale
- The Spanish Moore’s Tragedy
- The Honest Whore
- The Famous History of Sir Thomas Wyat
- The Belman of London
- The Roaring Girle
- Four Soluloquies
- El comendador de Ocaña
- La dama boba
- The Dog in the Manger
- The knight from Olmedo
American Literature dissertation
- Religious disputes prompting settlement in America
- The Puritan poetry
- Bible translation in Algonquin language
- Emergence of African American literature
- Political writings during the revolutionary period by Samuel Adams and John Dickinson.
- Slave narrative
Post Independence literature dissertations
- Federalist essay of Alexander Hamilton
- Thomas Jefferson’s United States Declaration of Independence
- Political writings and orations of Patrick Henry and James Otis
First American novels
- The Power of Sympathy by William Brown
- Charlotte Temple
- The Coquette: Or, the History of Eliza Wharton
- Charlotte: A Tale of Truth
- Modern Chivalry i
- The Female Quixote
British Literature dissertation
- Latin literature: Historia Brittonum, The Vita Columbae.
- Early Celtic Literature: The Ulster Cycle, The Medieval Welsh literature, Gaelic literature in Scotland.
Late Medieval Literature dissertations
December 21st, 2011
Journalism is all about impressiveness, creativity and flows of thoughts and emotions. Science is all about logic, preciseness and validity. The question appears: how to combine these matters within a journalism dissertation? This article will help you to understand when journalism and science should give the floor to each other in a journalism dissertation.
Impressiveness, Creativity and Emotions
Stay a journalist when you begin thinking about the subject area and the topic of your journalism dissertation. Be as creative as you can. You have many options to choose for working on in your journalism dissertation.
You can touch upon some social matters in your journalism dissertation, for example:
- Saving power of journalism
- Destructive power of journalism
- Influence of journalism on the society
- Role of political journalism in the political life of a country et al
If you want to make your journalism dissertation something fascinating, you can choose some “spicy” topic, for example:
- Obsession with scandals in journalism
- Journalism ethics violations
- Gonzo journalism et al
You can please your colleagues and touch on some inner matters of journalism in your journalism dissertation, for example:
- Professional deformation in journalism
- Requirements to a contemporary journalist
- Professionalism of the contemporary journalists
Logic, Preciseness and Validity
December 15th, 2011
Writing a media dissertation sometimes seems to be a challenge. However, there are some facts that make it a fascinating activity. For instance, media dissertation has no specific requirements to its tone, style, direction of study, etc. That is why, the author can be creative and use their imagination while writing a media dissertation. Besides, there is a multitude of other advantages.
Media dissertation: Looking for inspiration
The most difficult in writing a media dissertation is choosing a topic. In order to do this, you can simply observe media. Watch the news, listen to radio, search through Internet, read newspapers. Let the media inspire you for the paper!
Of course, you should not simply entertain yourself with media. Try to be critical; find the advantages and drawbacks of each sphere. Remember, that a media dissertation demands some strong arguments, so try to form some of them right away.
What is more, it is important to decide, which sphere of the media is to be investigated in your media dissertation. Here you can be guided by your personal interests and preferences; choose the direction that you feel like investigating.
Media dissertation: Your turn to write!
October 6th, 2011
Which dissertation topic is a good one? Every student working on a dissertation has to answer this question. We offer you a questionnaire that will help to understand whether you have chosen an appropriate dissertation topic.
Do you like your dissertation topic? Are you glad that you will work on it?
In case your answer is “no”, we sincerely recommend you to continue searching. There is hardly anything more exhausting than working on a dissertation topic that you dislike. Your negative attitude to a dissertation topic will become a strong obstacle on your way to writing a high-level dissertation.
Is your dissertation topic worth working on?
Here, we consider two aspects:
- Does your dissertation topic have academic significance?
- Does a topic still require further study?
To write a dissertation, you will have to do significant work. That is why it is important to know well that this work is being done not in vain. If you answer “no”, we recommend you to re-formulate your dissertation topic so that it meets the requirements mentioned above.
Is your dissertation topic manageable for you?
Here, there are also two aspects:
- Do you have enough knowledge and skills to cope with this dissertation topic?
- Are you able to find or to collect enough material to embrace a chosen dissertation topic?
September 29th, 2011
Making a consequential choice
Saying that the choice of dissertation topics might appear to be half the battle, people overestimate the importance of the problem. Surely, the choice of the research problem is really important for the following research process. Unfortunately, it appears to be only the top of an iceberg.
Review of the current literature, choice of the research methods and taking into consideration possible hindrances of the research process are not less significant for conducting a research. Analysis of dissertation topics is only the starting point of the research process. For this reason scientists should not devote too much time to it.
Choice between actual and outdated dissertation topics might become a dilemma for a researcher. On the one hand, it is easier to find information for the topics that have been researched for millions times.
On the other hand, it would be difficult t make a contribution to the existing system of scientific knowledge working with such topic. Choosing dissertation topics, a scientist should not be afraid of the unknown as young ideas are beneficial for conducting an effective research.
Tips for making a choice of dissertation topics
September 22nd, 2011
Nowadays, we live in a diversity of different cultures, ethnicities and religions. The diversity dissertation is devoted to the study of different human qualities and the ways how people understand and evaluate these differences.
If you are to write a diversity dissertation and you do not know what you, actually, can write about or how to organize it, you should read the information below.
- A diversity dissertation usually devoted to the analyzing different human qualities. It may be the analysis of the religion, culture, age and gender correlations as well as the physical abilities.
- You will have to analyze these issues from different perspectives, consequently, writing a diversity dissertation presupposes a multidisciplinary approach.
- First of all, you will have to choose a general topic and analyze it using the multidisciplinary approach in order to define several possible topics for your diversity dissertation.
- It is very important to choose a topic which is the most interesting for you. After you have chosen a topic, you should start search for information on the issue. Your main task is to define a specific problem that you will study in your diversity dissertation.
- The process of writing a diversity dissertation is the same as for other types of dissertations. You should follow a proper formatting, include relevant data, create a good methodology and a good thesis statement.
- The main thing you should remember while writing a diversity dissertation is that you should focus on the issue of diversity.
September 14th, 2011
Postgraduate studies usually end up with a dissertation defense and a dissertation publication. More often students choose to surf the Internet for all useful information on dissertation publication.
Thus, we are ready to enlighten you on what is going on when the degree is pursued and who is next to get your dissertation.
Dissertation Publication Steps:
- First, you will need to combine your dissertation and convert it into a PDF file. This way your masterpiece can be distributed further on, or you may choose to make it paperback. Then dissertation publication process takes another turn – upload your work via web or fill out the necessary papers and provide those through your graduate school.
- Of course, you will have to write an abstract before your dissertation publication. It means that every postgraduate student, writing his/her own dissertation will be able to find useful research materials even faster due to your abstract.
- Also, please, make sure you acquire permission on dissertation publication in case you share authorship with somebody else. Moreover, even if the appendices of your manuscript belong to the other copyright, you will need to get permission from a copyright owner.
September 8th, 2011
Choosing a topic for dissertation on finance often becomes a stumbling block for students. This is mainly because it is impossible to “choose” a finance dissertation topic: you need to develop it on your own. How to do it successfully? Let us discuss this matter together.
Start developing a finance dissertation topic with choosing a broad field. Indeed, you have a very big list to choose from, for example:
- Financial management
- Taxes and taxation systems
- International finance
- Private finance
- Financial markets
- Financial investment et al
This is only a short list that may help you to turn your thinking on and get inspired. You can focus on any field where you have substantial background. Besides, think about your career plans and try to develop a relevant finance dissertation topic: in this case, finance dissertation writing will be more useful for you.
After you have chosen a broad field, go narrower until you formulate a narrow finance dissertation topic, for example:
Theory of finance -> Financial engineering -> Finance dissertation topic: Quantitative methods in financial engineering